Heritage

Castlebar’s Heritage

 

Mayo Memorial Peace Park

IMG_2025
A green peaceful oasis, created to commemorate the men and women of Mayo, killed in the world wars of the last century.

Where is it?
Lower Westport Road, opposite the Harlequin Hotel, before Next and Aldi.

Information:
Visit www.mayomemorialpeacepark.org.
The book ‘Mayo’s Fallen Heroes’ gives a fantastic insight into the people commemorated. Available in Castlebar’s bookshops.

 

The Lucan Connection and The Mall. The Methodist Church

IMG_2067

The beautiful tree lined Mall was once the cricket pitch of Lord Lucan, who became known as ‘the Great Exterminator’-­‐ such was the treatment of his tenants during the Famine 1845-­‐47. Lord Lucan was ancestor of the infamous ‘Lucky Lucan’ who went missing following the murder of his nanny. The area is also infamous for it’s hanging tree long since gone.

The Methodist Church, now know as the Christian Fellowship Centre, was founded by John Wesley in 1785. It is the only such church in the country that Wesley actually laid the foundation stone. Located in centre of Castlebar, opposite Mayo County Council

Information:
Mayo County Library at the Mall, Castlebar for more information.
Castle Book Shop in Castle St. for books on local history.
Brían Hoban, local historian and guide, for guided walking tours each Saturday, and group tours by appointment: 087 9234504
National Museum of Ireland -­‐ Country Life & The Fighting Fitzgerald.

 

This branch of the National Museum of Ireland brings to life the traditions of rural life throughout Ireland from 1850– 1950. Events for all ages. The eccentric and flamboyant ‘Fighting Fitzgerald’ and his subsequent execution in 1786 is the subject of many stories and research, and Fitzgerald’s ancestral home at Turlough Park House is now home to the National Museum of Country Life.

Where is it?
Located off N5 in Turlough village (8kms east from Castlebar).

Contact:
Web: www.museum.ie
Email: tpark@museum.ie This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Tel: 094 903 1755

 

Barry’s Castle

A lot of debate exists about the exact location of Barry’s Castle, but alas it remains no more. It was located between the Convent and the Military Barracks.

 

The Races of Castlebar, 1798 & General Humbert


Plaque-battle-castlebar

The defeat of the Redcoats by General Humbert and the United Irishmen in 1798 in a battle that has become known as The Races of Castlebar. The victory celebrations were held in what now houses the Visitor Information Point and the Linenhall Arts Centre -­‐ you may feel your feet starting to move!

Information:
Mayo County Library at the Mall, Castlebar for more information. 
Castle Book Shop in Castle St. for books on local history.
Brían Hoban, local historian and guide, for guided walking tours each Saturday, and group tours by appointment: 087 9234504

 

Protestant Church


IMG_2067

The oldest building in town -­‐ founded 1739. Churchyard contains gravestone of Scottish soldiers killed in action in 1798.

Where is it?
Close to the tree-­‐lined town centre park ‘The Mall’ and next to the traffic lights on the junction from Ellison St to Mountain View. Next to Mayo County Council Offices

Information:
Mayo County Library at the Mall, Castlebar for more information.
Castle Book Shop in Castle St. for books on local history.
Brían Hoban, local historian and guide, for guided walking tours each Saturday, and group tours by appointment: 087 9234504

 

John Moore’s Grave

Visit the grave of John Moore, selected by General Humbert as 1st President of Connaught in 1798.

Where is it?
In the tree-­‐lined town centre park ‘The Mall’ opposite the Protestant Church junction from Ellison St to Mountain View. Next to Mayo County Council Offices

Information:
Mayo County Library at the Mall, Castlebar for more information.
Castle Book Shop in Castle St. for books on local history.
Brían Hoban, local historian and guide, for guided walking tours each Saturday, and group tours by appointment: 087 9234504

 

Davitt & The Land League

Now soon to be redeveloped, Daly’s Hotel, which still retains its Old World charm, where Michael Davitt (In conjunction with James Daly, editor of the Connaught Telegraph) founded the National Land League in 1879

Where is it?
Castle St upper, opposite the tree-­‐lined town centre park ‘The Mall’.

Information:
Mayo County Library at the Mall, Castlebar for more information.
Castle Book Shop in Castle St. for books on local history.
Brían Hoban, local historian and guide, for guided walking tours each Saturday, and group tours by appointment: 087 9234504

The Linenhall, now the Linenhall Arts Centre, and Visitor Information Point

The original Linen Hall was built in 1790 by Lord Lucan as a clearing house for the flax and linen produced in the region and also as a storehouse for looms and tools. The linen industry in Mayo at that time provided a regular and stable income for the many linen producers in the county.

Information:
Web: www.thelinenhall.com
Mayo County Library at the Mall, Castlebar for more information.
Castle Book Shop in Castle St. for books on local history.
Brían Hoban, local historian and guide, for guided walking tours each Saturday, and group tours by appointment: 087 9234504